Over 100 students hospitalized by contaminated water

September 28, 2015

WCRP: Reports have emerged that over 100 students in Karen State have been hospitalized     after drinking contaminated water from a local river

12009591_711281075643409_4967905279282860714_nOn September 23, over 100 students from Ta Yat Taw school in Karen State’s Kawkareik Township, became sick after drinking water from the nearby Jaine river. Reportedly, local teenagers had contaminated the water with poison in order to kill nearby fish and birds, hoping to sell the dead animals at market. However, with students at the school drinking directly from the river, this move quickly led to a sudden outbreak of ill health.

Before school started on Wednesday, 100 of a total 300 students began complaining of severe dizziness and nausea. Teachers in the school acted quickly, immediately transferring students to the nearest hospital for treatment.

12042997_711281158976734_3018078668410216784_nNai Aie Non, a health worker in Ta Yat Taw village, explained, “The students started drinking the water at around 8 a.m. By around 9 a.m. they started to get sick and the teacher decided to send them to hospital […] This is the first time that something like this has happened in this village”.

While the outbreak was severe, it is reported that many of the students have recovered quickly and will soon be able to leave hospital. Nai Aie Non continued, “Now, the situation is better, but the doctors are still checking on the students”.

A parent of a Grade 9 student elaborated, “After [my son] drank the water at school he felt dizzy and had stomach pain. His teacher took him to hospital and after we heard about this we went to hospital to see him […] His condition is improving. We are waiting to go back home”.






Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.